This vegan gumbo recipe is hearty, savory, filling and warming. With a mix of beans, mushrooms and okra, this vegetarian gumbo is cheap to make and full of flavour.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups (200 grams) okra, sliced
- 1 can (400 grams / 14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ - 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 10 button mushrooms, quartered
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups (330 grams) mixed beans or lentils (I used chickpeas, kidney beans, white beans and brown lentils)
- 1 tablespoon dark miso paste
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Brown rice, to serve
- A small handful of fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a wide saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and sprinkle over the flour. Stir or whisk continuously until the roux reaches a dark caramel or milk chocolate colour, a bit darker than peanut butter. It will take about 15 – 20 minutes. Don’t let it burn or you will have to start over.
- Add the onions and continue stirring continuously until soft. Add the green pepper, celery, garlic and okra. Sauté, stirring frequently for 10 – 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the okra slime has disappeared.
- Get full recipe==>>cilantroandcitronella.com