Making The Best Gluten Free Eclairs at home is much easier than you think! Mmm... think of all the flavor combinations you could make!
- 2/3 cup (107 g) white rice flour
- 1/3 cup (68 g) sweet rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) xanthan gum
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 recipe Peanut Butter Pastry Cream
- 3/4 cup (145 g) gluten free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the white rice flour, sweet rice flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, bring the water and butter to a boil. Once they have reached a boil, pour all of the dry ingredients in at once, and stir with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated, and the mixture looks similar to play dough.
- Place hot dough into a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for a minute or two to cool the dough down a bit. With the mixer on medium speed, add one egg at a time. Beat dough until the egg is completely incorporated before adding the next one. When you add an egg, the dough will look like it breaks apart, but keep mixing it until it comes back together again. Repeat until all 4 eggs have been added.
- Mix on medium-high speed for 1 minute, until the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough into a pastry bag, or resealable freezer bag, and cut a 3/4-inch (2 cm) opening in the end/corner. Pipe the dough into logs, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick and as long as your finger onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2-inches between eclairs. You can use a knife dipped in water to cleanly cut off the dough once you have piped the log long enough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the door, and pierce the end of each eclair with a sharp knife. This will help any steam trapped inside them to escape, giving a nice crisp eclairs. Leave the eclairs in the oven, with the door open a few inches, until the oven has cooled completely.
- Once the eclairs have completely cooled, you can fill them. They are best served the same day, but can be stored in an air tight container. To crisp unfilled cream puffs again, place in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
- Place the Peanut Butter Pastry Cream into a pastry bag fitted with a pointed tip. Insert the tip into the cut that you made at the end of the eclair. Squeeze filling in until the entire eclair is full. Do not overfill, or the pastry cream will run out after filling.
- Combine the chocolate chips and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium power in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely smooth.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread the ganache on the tops of the filled eclairs.