Deliciousness made with all-natural flavoring—triple lemon! Melt-in-your-mouth Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies at their finest and from scratch. What could be better? Our recipe was reverse engineered from standard recipes for Gooey Butter Cookies calling for boxed yellow cake mix. The result is simply a sublime buttery, light and tender-crumbed cookie sweetened just right and full of lemon flavor including an enchanting tang from cream cheese.
- 2¼ cups (270 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon (a few drops) lemon oil
- ⅛ teaspoon natural yellow gel based food coloring
- 1 teaspoon (4.8 g) fine-grain sea salt, or ¾ teaspoon (4.5 g) regular table salt
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk (mine weighed 71 g w/o shells)
- 1 (8 oz or 226 g) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ tablespoons (22.5 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (300 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) freshly grated lemon zest, from 2 large lemons
- 1 cup (120 g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted, for rolling & dusting cookies
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder until well blended. Set aside.
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or handheld electric mixer, cream together cream cheese and butter until well blended, creamy and smooth. Beat in sugar, lemon zest and juice, vanilla, lemon oil, food coloring and salt; mix until well combined, light and fluffy, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula when necessary. Add egg and egg yolk and beat in well until creamy and light, about 1 to 2 minutes on medium speed.
- On low speed, gradually add flour mixture and mix until just fully incorporated. Dough will be very sticky. Cover work bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Get full recipe==>>wickedgoodkitchen.com
- Only use completely cooled cookie sheets lined with a fresh sheet of parchment paper before baking each batch.
- Avoid crowding the cookies on baking sheets by spacing apart at least by 2 inches (5 cm).