This Vegan Cinnamon Swirl Cake is super Easy and Quick. A simple yellow cake, swirled with cinnamon sugar makes for a delightful treat. Add nuts to the swirls for variation, Make the batter into cupcakes. Vegan Nutfree Soyfree Recipe. Glutenfree option.
Ingredients:Yellow Vanilla cake
- 2 cups of flour ( I use all unbleached all purpose, or a combination of all purpose and wheat)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (optional)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup non dairy milk such as almond or soy
- 1 tsp vinegar ( apple cider vinegar or white)
- 1/3 cup sugar 1 tbsp more for sweeter
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a few drops of almond extract optional but wonderful
- a good pinch of turmeric for color optional
- 3 tbsp sugar light brown sugar or a mix of brown and regular
- 1.25 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of cardamom or chai spice or ginger or orange zest for variation
- Prepare a loaf pan ( 9 by 5 inch) by lining with parchment or greasing. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F ( 180 deg C).
- Mix the non dairy milk and vinegar and let sit for 2 mins. Then add the rest of the wet ingredients and whisk well to combine. Sugar should be well combined.
- Add 1 3/4 cup flour*, starch baking powder, baking soda and salt (through a sieve or mixed in another bowl). Whisk well to combine. The mixture should be a flowy but just slighty stiff (depends on the flours used. You can also in some spices into the flour for other flavors.
- (*If using whole grain flour, start with 1 3/4 cup flour and add in more flour 1 tbsp at a time).
- In a small bowl mix the cinnamon, sugar and a good pinch of salt. Press down with a spoon and mix until the cinnamon is mixed in.
- Add half of the batter to a prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture on the batter. Pour the rest of the batter and even it out. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon mixture on top. Use a knife to swirl in lightly throughout the batter. Spray oil on top to seal in the cinnamon mixture
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes (depends on the pan and oven) Check from the center at 45 mins and continue baking till the toothpick comes out completely clean.
- Cool on the counter for 10 mins then remove from the pan and continue to cool completely before slicing. Slice and Store on the counter for upto 2 days and refrigerated for upto a week. Slices can also be frozen. Add an icing for dessert.
- Variations: Add some chopped nuts on the cinnamon sugar layers for variation.
- Bake into cupcakes with 1 or 2 cinnamon layer. Bake for 22 to 25 mins.