Fresh citrus grilled shrimp and zoodles create a light, healthy and super tasty lunch or dinner! A cilantro, lime, and orange vinaigrette acts as both a marinade and dressing for the dish, which can be served warm, or cold, as a zucchini noodle salad. Gluten free, paleo, Whole30 friendly.
shrimp and zoodles:
Ingredients:for the dressing/marinade:
- 1.5 tsp finely grated lime zest from one med lime
- 1.5 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1.5 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh minced cilantro
- 1/2-3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt plus more to season shrimp before cooking
- 1/4 tsp black pepper OR chipotle chili powder for extra spice (1/4 tsp will add significant spice)
- 1 tsp honey optional - adding honey makes the recipe no longer whole30 compliant
shrimp and zoodles:
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- extra cilantro for garnish
- salt and pepper to season the shrimp right before cooking
- 3-4 zucchini medium, spiralized, plus 1/4-1/2 tsp salt (to "sweat" the zucchini)
- To create the marinade, blend all ingredients on low, or whisk together in a bowl, except for olive oil, then stream the olive oil in with the blender running on low or while whisking.
- Pour the dressing into a container, and reserve 3 Tbsp of the dressing to marinate the shrimp. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour. The rest of the dressing should be covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Spiralize your zucchini and "sweat" them by placing in a colander over a bowl, and sprinkling with sea salt. This will release much of the water over the course of an hour, after which you can drain them and squeeze out excess water with paper towels. The zucchini can sweat while the shrimp marinates.
- Once ready to grill, turn the grill on high and brush lightly with olive oil. shake off excess marinade from the shrimp and discard, leaving a light coating of marinade on the shrimp. Season shrimp with a bit of sea salt and pepper, then put them on the hot grill, not allowing them to touch.
- Grill shrimp on each side until pink,opaque and just done - don’t overcook. Remove to a plate and allow them to cool a bit before tossing with zucchini noodles and desired amount of extra dressing.