I love hot cinnamon doughnuts, but don't like or have all the oil to make the recipes. This version uses an air fryer. By using less oil, I can use tastier oil, thus my choice is butter.
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 50g butter, melted
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a bowl press together the butter and sugar until crumbly. Add the egg yolks and stir until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a separate bowl.
- Add to the sugar egg mixture 1/3 of the flour and half the sour cream. When well combined add another 1/3 of the flour and 1/2 the sour cream. Finally mix in the remain 1/3 flour. Place in the fridge while you prepare the bench.
- Lightly flour the bench then roll-out the dough about 1cm thick. Cut large circles, then a small circle out the centre to create a doughnut shape.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180 degrees C.
- Using the melted butter and a brush, place a thin layer on both sides of the doughnut then add to the air fryer. Cook for 8 minutes.
- As soon as the doughnuts are cooked, paint again with the melted butter and immediately dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve and eat hot. Like traditional doughnuts they are much better hot than cold.
- Cook time may vary on strength and capacity of your air fryer, check and adjust accordingly.